The summer may be over (at least the calendar summer) and the first rains have arrived. However, we should not put our sunscreen away. On the contrary, we continue to use it as we should wear sunscreen all year round and not only summer months.
We usually relate our sunscreen with summer and the sea and we only use it then. This is wrong because the use of a good sun protection products is necessary throughout the year, even during winter.
Why we should wear sunscreen all year round
These are the main reasons for which we must include sun protection to our everyday routine:
- It delays the appearance of wrinkles and premature aging. Sun exposure causes collage break down faster than aging coming from time, which contributes to the appearance of wrinkles sooner. Most of the visible aging signs that we have, are not a result of our age. They are mainly relevant to how much we have exposed our skin to the sun.
- It helps in prevention of discolored skin patches. Sunlight induces topical overproduction of melanin that is the main cause of discolorisation.
- It adds radiance to the skin. Sun rays harm the reproductive activity of skin. For this reason, dead cells are not removed, they stay on the surface of the skin for a long time causing complexion to look dull.
- The ozone layer of our atmosphere is thinner which allows more ultraviolet rays to reach us. This increases their harmful effect. In addition, they easily go through the clouds and can reach us even in closed areas through glass windows.
- Sun exposure can weaken the immune function of our skin that prevents precancerous defects. Skin cancer is on the rise and sunscreen is proved to provide protection.
- Sunscreen also helps in reducing the appearance of red veins and red spots as sun makes the problem of spider veins worse.
It is important to keep in mind that every exposure to the sun, even for a short time does not just disappear. It adds up to the next one so the harm is gradually increasing. This is why we should wear sunscreen all year round.
You can find natural sunscreen that will keep you covered throughout the year HERE.