Bamboo is one of the most amazing plants. It is an ideal alternative for the replacement of popular plastic items. Therefore you should think about replacing your toothbrush with an ecofriendly bamboo toothbrush.
There are more than one species of bamboo. Actually, they are estimated to be approximately 200. It grows in tropical and temperate climates and is resistant in harsh conditions. It does not require pesticides or herbicides in order to grow well. It is a type of grass and grows from its roots. When it is cut it quickly grows back with most species maturing in 3-5 years.
Facts about the sustainability of bamboo
Bamboo is the ideal material for producing ecofriendly sustainable household products for the following reasons
- It is easy to cultivate. It grows without pesticides or chemical fertilizers and it rarely needs replanting
- It is fast growing. Certain species of bamboo can grow 910 mm within a 24-hour period. The typical growth rate for commonly cultivated bamboos is in the range of 30–100 mm per day during the growing period.
- It is ready for harvest and suitable for use in construction within about three to seven years. Bamboo culms emerge from the ground at their full diameter and grow to their full height in a single growing season of three to four months. Then they only need to mature until they are ready to be harvested.
- It protects the environment and landscape. It prevents soil erosion and contributes to the balance of oxygen and carbon dioxide in the atmosphere.
- It grows in a wide range of environments. Most bamboo species are native to warm and moist tropical and warm temperate climates. However, many species are found in diverse climates, ranging from hot tropical regions to cool mountainous forests.
- It’s production into fibers has lower environmental impact than other forms of fiber, especially synthetic ones.
The uses of bamboo – not just eco toothbrushes
Small household items and accessories: Cups and saucers, spoons and ladles can all be made from this incredibly versatile material. It is also used to make accessories like necklaces, bracelets, earrings, and other types of jewelry.
Clothes: Bamboo can be made into a strong and durable fabric like canvas. From this material all sorts of clothes can be created. Bamboo fabric is breathable, thermal regulating, odor resistant and is absorbent and fast drying.
Furniture and larger items: Beautiful and intricately crafted beds, chairs and tables are made from bamboo. Also, bamboo can be used in other big items like musical instruments, bicycles, helmets, toys … and the list is endless.